Breakfast for Dinner: Savory Tomato Basil Pancakes
In these crazy, dizzy, over-scheduled times, it can be hard to find a moment to spend quality time around table with your loved ones. This is especially true when it comes to breakfast, when everyone’s running out the door for work or school. That's why we love Birch Benders Micro-Pancakery's certified organic pancake mixes. Sure they have sweet pancakes (I love the cinnamon), but they've come up with a savory dish using their classic "just add water" pancake and waffle mix. Clearly, with diced heirloom tomato, fresh basil, bacon and poached eggs, you'll need to do a little more than just adding water. But it'll taste great.
Birch Benders Savory Tomato Basil Pancakes
Serving Size: 5-6 four-inch pancakes
- 3/4 cup Birch Benders Classic Just-Add-Water Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 large heirloom tomato, diced
- 1/8 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Several slices freshly cooked bacon
- 2 freshly poached eggs
- Olive Oil
*Want gluten-free pancakes? Gluten Free Just-Add-Water Pancake & Waffle Mix also available in small 2.7 ounce jar (makes 2 four-inch pancakes or waffles) and large 10.8 ounce jar (makes about 16 four-inch pancakes or waffles).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pancake mix and water until batter is just combined (do not overmix!).
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or frying pan on medium high until oil bubbles begin to form, or a drop of water sizzles when splashed on surface. Pour batter onto griddle and make pancakes. Set pancakes aside.
- Mix the diced tomatoes with the chopped basil. Drizzle with olive oil and add a dash of salt. Place two slices of bacon on each pancake. Divide the tomato basil mixture between the pancakes and place poached egg on top.
- Enjoy this savory pancake!