Thanksgiving Apples & Stuffing from Chef Stephanie Izard
Stuffing can be bland, lumpy and gross, but it shouldn't be. Do yourself a flavor (ha, see what we did there?) and follow chef Stephanie Izard's recipe for stuffing with apples, using some day-old nutty and a sweeter bread, pork sausage, cheddar cheese, her Rub #1 and more for this sweet and savory spin on Thanksgiving stuffing.
Chef Stephanie Izard's Stuffing With Apples & Pork Sausage
(Yield: 4 servings)
- 8 cups mixed bread cubes. Small diced day-old bread works best with some nut bread and a sweeter bread to accent the savory flavors
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced on an angle
- ½ Spanish onion, small diced
- 1 gala or Fuji apple, thinly sliced
- 1 pound mild pork sausage
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp Rub #1
- ½ T salt
- Using a sauté pan, brown sausage until fully cooked. Add celery, onion and apple to the pan and season with Rub #1. Cook until onion and celery have just softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl combine chicken stock, cream and eggs. Whisk together until fully combined.
- In a larger bowl combine bread cubes with sausage mixture and cheddar cheese. Pour liquids over and season with ½ T of salt.
- Place stuffing mix into a baking dish and place in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.