DIY NYE Pate with Elderberry Gelee
If you're having a New Year's Eve dinner or cocktail party, take things to a more elegant level with a chicken pate with elderberry gelee. This dish makes for a perfect appetizer — assuming none of your guests are vegetarian. Even though this is made with chicken liver, you can modify it to make it vegetarian (here's a great porcini and pecan pate recipe from Food & Wine). This recipe, from our friends at Norm's Farms, features an elderberry gelee, which isn't just scrumptious, but also can help boost your immunity, which you might need after that New Year's soiree.
New Year's Eve Pate with Elderberry Pate
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound chicken livers, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped shallots
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup elderberry juice, chilled
- Toasted baguette slices or crackers, for serving
- Line a 6-inch square pan, a 9x5 inch loaf pan, or two
5x2 inch loaf pans with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in
a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add livers, shallots, garlic and cayenne
- Cook, stirring occasionally until livers are cooked through, about 5
- Stir in 1 teaspoon salt, the wine and the thyme.
- Reduce heat to low.
Cover and cook until liquid has reduced and the mushrooms are very soft, about
10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Transfer the liver mixture to a food processor.
- Add the
remaining 3/4 cup butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and process until smooth and
- Transfer to the prepared pan(s) and refrigerate until cool.
- Place 3 tablespoons of elderberry juice in a bowl and sprinkle
the gelatin over the surface of the juice. Let stand until softened, about 5
- Heat the remaining juice until warm and add to the gelatin mixture.
Stir until the gelatin is well dissolved.
- Prepare an ice water bath in a bowl
large enough to hold the bowl containing the elderberry juice-gelatin mixture.
Place the bowl containing the elderberry juice-gelatin mixture in the ice water
bath and let the juice cool to room temperature, stirring.
- Slowly pour the
elderberry juice-gelatin mixture over the pate. Cover with plastic wrap (don’t
let wrap come into contact with the gelee) and return the pate to the
refrigerator. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours or overnight.
- Just prior to serving, remove plastic wrap cover. Gently pull up
on the plastic wrap lining the pan(s) to un-mold and place the pate on a
decorative plate. Serve with toasted baguette slices or crackers.