Does a Side of (Zucchini) Fries Come With That Shake?
Sweet potato fries have been all the rage in the last few years as a substitute for their carb-heavier starchy french fries (don't get us wrong, if fries are on the plate, we'll eat them). But sometimes you want to mix it up. This recipe for zucchini fries, using Zema's Madhouse Foods gluten-free Rosemary-Millet Focaccia and Pizza Crust mix, is not only delicious and super easy to make, but it's a great way to sneak veggies into kids' meals. Ready to make a batch?
Zema's Gluten-free Rosemary-Millet Zucchini Fries
- Pour enough oil into a deep pot at least 4-5 inches deep.
- Heat over medium heat until temperature reaches 350 degrees.
- If you don’t have a candy thermometer, you can test the heat with the first zucchini fry and adjust.
- Set up a three-part station using pie dishes.
- Pour ½ cup of Zema’s baking mix in the first dish. Whisk two eggs in the second dish. Pour the rest of the baking mix
- plus the sea salt in the third dish.
- Cut the zucchini in half and then in sticks. In batches of 6, dust the zucchini sticks in the first dish, soak in the egg wash, letting excess egg drip off and finish off in the flour mixture to coat.
- Gently place zucchini in the hot oil for approx. 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take one out and cut in half to determine if it’s cooked thru and adjust time. You want the zucchini to be tender, but not mushy. Place cooked fries on paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Sprinkle with more sea salt, if desired. Serve immediately with your choice of dips.