Earl Grey Tea Breakfast Scones with Orange Icing
Perfect for marathoning Downton Abbey on the weekends, these Earl Grey Tea Breakfast Scones are a delicious way to enjoy a classic tea blend. Top with orange icing to complement the citrus notes in the tea.
Earl Grey Tea Breakfast Scones & Orange Icing
For the Scones
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 T white sugar
- 1 T of your favorite loose leaf earl gray tea
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking
powder, salt sugar and tea in a large bowl. Cut in the butter. The mixture should
- Add the milk and knead to combine.
- Form into a large, flat disc. Slice
diagonally into six pieces.
- Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes,
until lightly browned on top.
- Cool completely before icing.
For the Icing
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ T milk or milk alternative
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Zest of one orange
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Keep covered at room temperature until ready to use.