Get Outta Town Gluten-free Apple Fritters
If you haven't already packed up the kids for a day of apple picking, what are you waiting for? Fall is the perfect time to load up on all sorts of delicious apple varieties. Sure, you can eat them as a standalone fruit (you know what they say eating one a day does), but numerous recipes abound to incorporate those lovely apples.
We love this recipe from Zema's Madhouse Foods that uses their uses their gluten-free cinnamon apple oatmeal mix and combines it with fresh apples, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, coconut milk and more to produce tasty bite-sized apple fritters. These are packed with so much flavor you'll likely have to make a new batch before the first one gets gobbled up.
Gluten-free Cinnamon Apple Fritters
- 2 T dairy free butter
- 1 pound (about 3) apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½-inch
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup apple juice or cider
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 pkg Zema's cinnamon oatmeal mix
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon peel
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 T lemon juice or vinegar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 T melted butter or olive oil
- Oil for frying
For Apple Filling:
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high
- Add apples.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon; toss to coat.
- Saute until apples are browned in spots and
tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Add apple juice and vinegar.
until all liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Set filling aside in skillet to cool.
- Measure out coconut milk in a liquid measure and add the
lemon juice to it; set aside.
- Whisk Zema’s mix, sugar, lemon peel and baking powder in large bowl to blend.
- Whisk coconut milk mixture, egg yolks and
melted butter or olive oil in medium bowl to blend.
- Gradually stir milk mixture into dry
- Beat egg whites in a bowl
with a whisk until peaks form.
fold egg whites into fritter base, then fold in cooled apple filling
- Pour enough oil into heavy large saucepan to reach depth of
1 ½ inches (5-6 cups).
- Attach deep-fry
thermometer to side of pan.
- Heat oil to
320-330 degrees F over medium heat.
- Working in batches of 5 or 6, drop batter into oil by
- Fry fritters until deep
golden brown and cooked through, turning fritters occasionally and adjusting
heat to maintain oil temperature, about 4 minutes per batch.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer fitters to
- Drain briefly; transfer to
large rimmed baking sheet.
- Can be made 2 hours ahead; let stand at room
temperature, rewarm in 350 degree F oven for 5 minutes, if desired.