Get Ready to Die for this Blueberry Pie
No summertime picnic or barbecue can really be called a picnic or barbecue if you don't have a homemade summer berry pie. One of my favorites is an antioxidant-packed blueberry pie, but if you want to go completely decadent, this can also be a mambo-combo blueberry and raspberry pie. Whatever way you decide to go you will, no doubt, make some guests very happy. And as far as two crusted pies go, this recipe is, well ... easy as pie!
Decadent Summer Blueberry Pie Recipe
- 11 T butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 5 cups fresh blueberries (or 3 cups blueberries and 2 cups raspberries)
- 2/3 cup blueberry or raspberry jam (if only using fresh blueberries, don't use raspberry jam unless it is seedless)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 T demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter (mmmm ... butter) and 1/3 cup sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix and then add flour. Mix enough to form dough, but don't over mix or the dough gets mad.
- Roll into a ball, flatten and divide into 2 equal discs and roll each out.
- Cover them with a dish towel or plastic wrap (plastic = evil) and go to work on the filling.
- In large bowl mix blueberries, jam, flour, sugar and a nice shake of cinnamon.
- Spray 9-inch pie plate with non-stick spray. Gently place one of your rolled out pie crusts in pan. Top with all the filling. Place top layer of crust on top.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle demerara sugar on top. Be sure to cut slits in the pie crust or prepare for explosion in your nice clean oven.
- Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until the crust looks lovely and inviting.
- Set out to cool and enjoy.