Grilled Tofu Sandwich with Caramelized Onions
Tired of the burgers and hot dogs getting all the fire? Grill up this tofu sandwich and enjoy your veggie delights. This recipe calls for HerbNZest's caramelized apple champagne mustard (ed. note: one of my favorite condiments we sell on Abe's), onion, dairy-free cheese and arugula. It's a great vegetarian option for any backyard BBQ.
- 4 slices sour dough bread
- 1 cup melt-able dairy-free cheese such as Daiya
- 1 pack firm tofu, sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 4 T HerbNZest Caramelized Apple Champagne Mustard
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Salt to taste
- Sprinkle salt over the sliced tofu strips and grill in a electric grill for 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a skillet, sauté the onions in oil until yellow.
- Add vinegar and allow caramelizing until vinegar evaporates. Set aside.
- Layer the cheese over the bread slice, then place the grilled tofu strips in a single layer. Repeat for remaining bread slices.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and toast for 3-5 minutes until cheese melts.
- Add a layer of arugula, then spread on top 1 tbsp HerbNZest Caramelized Apple Champagne Mustard, followed by a layer of caramelized onions on top and repeat this for the remaining slices.
- Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper on top and serve while still hot with a side of grapes or carrots.