Meatless Mondays: Vegan Taco Lasagna
In third grade I used to spend all my Scholastic money on Garfield
books. It bummed my mom out, but those books taught me two important life
lessons: lasagna is awesome and Mondays suck. I don’t know Garfield’s opinion
on taco lasagna, but something tells me the layers of mushrooms, corn and spicy
Nacho Chee-Zee Sauce would earn this dish a furry orange thumbs-up. This recipe is from my cookbook Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans and is printed with permission from Page Street Publishing.
- 2 T olive oil, for pan
- 12 ounces (53 g) button mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ (15-ounce) cans corn, or 3 ¼ cups frozen corn
- Nacho Chee-Zee Sauce (see below)
- 1 (10- to 12-ounce) jar of your favorite chunky salsa
- 8 soft flour tortillas
- Sliced black olives
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Juice from 1 lime
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Make the filling: Heat the oil in a large skillet over
medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for about 7
minutes or until browned. Add the garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Remove from
- In a medium-size bowl, mix beans, corn and mushrooms with
the Nacho Chee-Zee Sauce.
- Pour one-third of the salsa into the bottom of a 10-inch
(25.5 cm) round or 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) oven-safe dish. Top with a layer of
overlapping tortillas, similar to layering in lasagna noodles.
- Top with one-third of the bean mixture, then one-quarter of
the remaining salsa, and another layer of overlapping tortillas.
- Repeat with another third of the bean mixture and more
salsa, and top with more tortillas.
- Finally, add the last third of the bean mixture and half of
the remaining salsa, and top with tortillas.
- Pour the remaining salsa on top and bake for 30 minutes. Let
cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Toss the avocado with the lime juice, then top the baked
lasagna with the avocado mixture and olives. Slice and eat!