Miracle Noodle Rice & Quinoa Tabbouleh with Roasted Tomatoes and Eggplant
Sometimes we get so busy with our daily lives that dinner becomes a chore instead of the pleasurable meal it's meant to be. Instead of having the same boring frozen prepared foods (OK, if you're doing that all the time, we need to talk), make dinnertime exciting again. When is the last time you thought you could prepare a quick, healthy, vegetarian — and even gluten free! — meal for your family that has roots in Middle Eastern cooking? It's a lot easier than you think, thanks to this aromatic Miracle Noodle Rice recipe featuring quinoa, eggplant, tomatoes, cumin and other worldly flavors you're going to love. What's better? It makes a great side dish to bring to a party or even a tailgate before a football game.
Miracle Noodle Rice & Quinoa Tabbouleh w/ Roasted Tomatoes and Eggplant
- 1 8-ounce bag Miracle Noodle Rice, prepared according to package directions
- 2 10-ounce containers organic cherry tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1 15- to 16-ounce unpeeled eggplant, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (6 ounces) quinoa
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 3 to 4 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the Miracle Noodle rice according to package directions.
- Position a rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Coat a large (at least 15x10x1-inch) rimmed baking sheet generously with nonstick spray. Scatter the tomatoes over the baking sheet; coat tomatoes with spray and sprinkle with salt. Roast 15 minutes. Reverse the sheet back to front. Stir tomatoes. Roast another 15 to 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are mostly collapsed, softened and perhaps slightly charred. Scrape the tomatoes with roasting juices onto a platter. Using a fork, press half of the tomatoes to release juices. Maintain oven temperature.
- Coat a small (12x9x1-inch) baking sheet with nonstick spray. Scatter eggplant over sheet. Coat eggplant with spray; drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and toss to blend. Roast eggplant 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and tender, stirring and turning every 10 minutes. Cool briefly on sheet.
- Combine rice and quinoa in a large bowl. Scrape in the tomatoes with all juices. Add eggplant, green onions, mint, 3 T lemon juice, remaining seasonings, 1 tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Toss tabbouleh to blend well. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Toss again; add remaining 1 T lemon juice and more salt and pepper, if needed.