Pick a Peck of Gluten-Free Pinot Pepper Chili
Sure you can eat it all year, but really, chili is a perfect dish for fall and winter. It warms you, fills you up and leaves you feeling pretty darn happy. This recipe, from Czar's Fine Foods & Pinot Sauces out of Willamette Valley in Oregon, incorporates the Czar's Pinot & Pepper sauce with chili and cocoa powders, beans, turkey or beef and more wonderful, fragrant flavors. Ready for things to cool down so you can turn up the heat?
Gluten-free Pinot-Pepper Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs. ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T cocoa powder
- 2 (14 oz.) cans kidney beans or black beans
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Czar's Pinot & Pepper sauce (or Pinot & Chipotle for a spicy version)
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown meat until no longer pink, breaking up into small pieces as you go.
- Add onion, cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent, then add garlic and cook 2 minutes more until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and cocoa powder. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Uncover, add beans, salt, vinegar, brown sugar and Czar's Pinot-Pepper sauce and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Optionally, top with cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt and green chiles.