Pow! Baobab Superfruit Apple Pie Recipe
Apple pie is delicious, especially served warm with vanilla ice cream. Make a healthier pie for the holidays with Powbab's baobab powder, made from the African superfruit! Baobab is loaded with antioxidants — more than pomegranate, blueberries and acai berries! — vitamin C, fiber and 12 total vitamins and minerals, including potassium and calcium. So if you're going to indulge with wonderful apple pie, why not make it a little healthier?
Powbab's Baobab Apple Pie Recipe
- Pie dough recipe (see below)
- 7-10 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 pack of 0.8 ounce Powbab organic baobab superfruit powder
- 1 T all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/4 cup sugar (can substitute with honey, agave nectar or another natural sweetener)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1 large egg, beaten
Pie Dough ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (more as needed) coconut oil, cool enough to be solid
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 T cane sugar
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup ice water
- Place flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor (or hand mix in a bowl; then mix, by hand, remaining ingredients) and process for a few seconds to combine. Add coconut oil and process until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the machine processing, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube until dough holds together. Do not process more than 30 seconds.
- Take out dough and place on a flat work surface. Divide in two. Place each half on a sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten and form two discs. Wrap and refrigerate before using, approx 15 to 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, Powbab baobab powder, flour, sugar, lemon juice and spices. Toss well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 pie dough disc into 1/8-inch thick circle to a diameter slightly larger than your pie plate. Press one pastry circle into the pie plate.
- Spoon apples into pie pan.
- Roll out second pie dough disc into 1/8-inch thick circle to a diameter slightly larger than your pie plate. Cover pie pan with remaining pastry circle. Cut several steam vents across top. Seal by crimping edges. Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake until crust is brown and juices are bubbling, approx. 1 hour.
- Cool on wire rack before serving.
- Serve with vanilla bean ice cream (optional)