Stephanie Izard's Holiday Kale & Red Oak Salad
Chef Stephanie Izard is up to her tasty tricks again — this time with a holiday kale and red oak salad using her chee vinaigrette. Spruce up your holiday dinner with this wonderful salad that packs in the flavor and healthy bits with black kale, baby red oak lettuce, fennel, kohlrabi, pears, beets and that fantastic chee vinaigrette from her The Flavor line. The recipe really comprises three separate recipes: the salad, party nuts and the vinaigrette. It's a little bit of work, but the payoff is worth it.
Stephanie Izard's Holiday Kale & Red Oak Salad with Chee Vinaigrette
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 medium bunch black kale, cleaned and shredded
- 2 small heads baby red oak lettuce, cleaned and shredded
- 1 small head radicchio, cleaned and shredded
- 2 small red pears, thin sliced
- 1 medium golden beet, peeled and sliced paper thin
- 1 head kolrahbi, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 5 small radishes, sliced thin
- ¾ cup Party Nuts, recipe below
- 1 ½ - 3 cups Chee Vinaigrette
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Dress with desired amount of Chi Vinaigrette just before serving.
Yield: 3 cups
- Blend or whisk together until well combined. Salt to taste.
Party Nuts Ingredients:
1 egg white
½ cup sugar
2 T honey
½ tsp Rub #2
½ tsp salt
4 cups mixed nuts: cashews, pecans, pistachios, marcona almonds
1 cup puffed rice cereal
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- In a stand mixer or with hand beaters mix egg whites until frothy. Add sugar, honey, masala (Rub #2) and salt and mix until well combined. Toss nuts and puffed rice cereal with mixture.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cook nuts for 25 minutes or until crunchy.
- Allow nuts to cool and break into small clusters.