This Little Lamb Went to the Spice Market
You thought those little piggies were the only ones to go places? Guess what, lambs like to travel, too. And in this case they went to Morocco and picked up some spices from the outdoor market. And they brought them back for this delicious, fresh — and dare we say green? (hey it has parsley, cilantro and mint!) — recipe for Moroccan spiced burgers.
The recipe, courtesy of our friend Mina Kallamni at Casablanca Foods, brings together the exotic spices of Mina's native Morocco in her spicy green harissa sauce. Mina has been cooking since she first learned from mother while growing up in the seaside city of Casablanca. She captures the smells and essence of her homeland in these sauces and if you like your food a little bit spicy, you're going to love these burgers.
Moroccan Spiced Burgers with Mina's Green Harissa
- 1 lb of ground lamb (you can also use beef)
- 2 T chopped mint (save 1 tablespoon for garnish)
- 1 T chopped cilantro
- 1 T chopped parsley
- 1 T chopped mint
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Mina Harissa Green (save 1⁄4 cup for drizzling at the end)
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes chopped or sundried tomatoes
- 4 flatbread pita
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese or yogurt
- In a large bowl mix ground meat, herbs, spices and green Harissa.
- Form 8 small oval-shaped patties.
- Grill 3-4 minutes on each side for medium.
- Lightly toast the pita
- Place 2 patties on each pita then top with tomatoes, feta and mint.
green Harissa over patties and pita.
- Fold to close ... Enjoy!