Vegan, Gluten-free Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins
This simple, spicy recipe from vegan blogger Cara Reed's new book, Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking, is so easy to make you'll be whipping them up for every occasion. The recipe calls for Cara's All-Purpose Blend, but you can also substitute your favorite gluten-free flour blend. Want more gluten-free cooking & baking inspiration? Check out Cara's top product picks!
VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE MUFFINS RECIPE
Prep Time: 5 minutes; Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
FOR CARA'S ALL-PURPOSE BLEND
- 3 cups superfine brown rice flour
- 3 cups superfine sorghum flour
- 1 ½ cups potato starch, not flour
- 1 ½ cups arrowroot powder
- With a spoon, scoop the flours into a measuring cup.
- Level with a knife and throw everything into a gallon-sized plastic baggie, seal tightly and shake vigorously until well combined.
- Keep stored in an airtight container.
- Makes 9 cups.
- 2 cups Cara’s All-Purpose Blend (above) or another gluten-free flour blend
- ½ cup unpacked brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 T flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ nondairy milk
- ⅓ c oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1 cup Cara’s All-Purpose Flour Blend (above)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tb vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Lightly grease or line a muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon. Pour the batter into the muffin pan.
- Combine the ingredients for the streusel topping and sprinkle it evenly on the batter.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted. Allow to cool slightly before removing from the muffin tins. Cool on a wire rack.
￼Cara's Tip: If you have spots in your muffin tin that are not filled before going into the oven, place some water halfway inside the individual spots. By doing this, you ensure all of your muffins will bake evenly.